Back icon 

History graphic

 

1869 Salisbury Parish established.  Tea Tree Gully was included in the boundaries of this new parish.
1941 We became part of Walkerville Parish.
1957 We became part of Hillcrest Parish.
1961 First 'local' Mass celebrated in the Tea Tree Gully Institute celebrated by Fr. J. McCann.
1966 Land bought in Elizabeth St, Tea Tree Gully.
There was a house on the land which the priests would live in for a time.  The first Presbytery.
1968 Permission given to build a church.
1969 Completed church consecrated by Archbishop Beovich.
  Blessing of Foundation Stone

Blessing Wall Plaque
1970 First marriage in church
1973 Archbishop James Gleeson declares St. David's as a parish in its own right.
Fr. John Dunlea OMI was the first Parish Priest.
  St. David's becomes a Parish
1973 Local branch of the Catholic Women's League established.
1976 Liturgy Committee established.
1977 St. David's Parish School opened.
1978 First Parish Secretary appointed.
1979 Local branch of the Legion of Mary established.
Work started on the sealing of the Church carpark.
1980 Local branch of the St. Vincent de Paul Society Conference established.
1981 Old Presbytery demolished.  Priests moved to a house in nearby Milne Rd.
Construction of new Presbytery started.
First Holy Communion group received.
Dominican Sisters took up residence in a house on Cinnamon Ave, St. Agnes.
1982 Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) established.
First group of Eucharistic Ministers inducted on Holy Thursday.
Domican Sisters leave the parish.
1983 St. Francis Xavier's Regional Catholic School opened.
Parish Baptism Program begins.
1984 Sisters of St. Joseph move into new Parish Convent on Joycelyn Ave, Surrey Downs.
First St. David's Antioch weekend held.
1986 Nuns move into house on Vizard Rd.
First Parish Pastorial Council established.
1987 First RE Coordinator for State Schools appointed.
1989 Gleeson College opened.
1993 Construction of Church Foyer commenced.
1994 Blessing and Opening of Parish Centre and Our Lady of Hope Chapel in Golden Grove.
Our Lady of Hope school opened.
1997 St. Eugene DeMazenod Canonisation celebration.
2020 On-line masses broadcast for the first time via facebook and continued throughout Covid 19 lockdowns.

 

A booklet titled St. David's Community 1973 - 1998 was written by John Murphy to celebrate our 25th Annivesary and contains many stories and memories of parishioners during each period.